Sunday, March 4, 2018

Thing 13: Screencasting and Screen Sharing

I chose Thing 13 as one of my options because I have been exploring this as a way to flip my classroom.  I started this year with the things I have to repeat over and over...it never gets old to explain that the information for citing a book source is on the title page.  So, I experimented with Office Mix, a product/add on to Microsoft Power Point, as a way to do this.  It was okay...a bit cumbersome to use.  But I created several videos particularly related to citing various types of sources.  However, when I saw "Thing 13" I knew this would have to be one of my picks.  I read a few of the articles (more on this later) and explored all the tools in the lesson but ended up using Screen Cast-O-Matic. It was easy to download and easy to use!  I struggled just a bit with the editing feature- I found it hard to zero in on the point I wanted to stop and start recording over.  At one point I just deleted and started from scratch.  I also appreciated the tips- keep it short (mine is 6 minutes, which is probably way too long) and to not worry if it's not perfect!  I decided to created a video to explain the basics of how to start a literary research paper (we do a lot of these!), focusing on database sources.  I thought I would link the video to our library home page for students that missed instruction, or who might need a refresher. 

Regarding the articles...I also found the articles very helpful.  I know all the reasons why I should be using screencasting, but one of the articles talked about why and how students could be using  it!  This is a level that I did not consider...way at the top of Bloom's!  So, given the ease of using these tools, Screen Cast-O-Matic in particular, I am going to explore ways to have students create screencasts!

Literary Research Tutorial

1 comment:

  1. Your screencast came out great! your voice is nice and clear and engaging. Well done. And it's interesting to think about how students can use these tools too!

    ReplyDelete